Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm lens without focus lever?
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 15:18:53 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/98 12:48:50 PM EST, dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu writes:

> I find that a finger & thumb on a focusing ring is much easier to
>  control than a single finger on a focusing lever, especially for
>  fine focusing adjustments.  I wonder if others have noticed this.
>
>  Andrew
                     Yes, that's why I grip the *outside* of the focus block
between my thumb and forefinger.  My chrome 21 S/A and 35 Summaron both have
helpful ribbing on those outer surfaces (unfortunately they also have that
exasperating infinity snap-lock), which is missing even from the later lenses
(even my black S/A is smooth).  Actually, given the compact dimensions of the
Leica M lenses, it would be difficult for those with substantial fingers to
turn the focus ring without disturbing the aperture ring simultaneously.  It's
not apparent with the longer lenses (probably why they don't have finger
blocks) but I once had the chance to use the '80's version of the 50 Summicron
that had a finger block, and it's more convenient than the prior or successor
version in that respect.  The 35 is that much smaller, lengthwise.

Jay