Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica's Future
From: thibault collin <tc-lnc@u-picardie.fr>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 17:58:36 +0200

Hey B.D.,

you wrote :

        ... on a trip with my daughter this weekend I was playing
>around with her Olympus OM4 and noted that that REFLEX body, with what is
>reputed to be THE best metering system in any pre-autofocus camera-
>including a true spot meter that can average up to eight seperate readings -
>is neither as high, or wide, as the M6 (reflex housing aside) and feels like
>it weighs a bit less.

It's true that the OM4 is a funny camera : very light, very small and
beautifully designed! In fact this is the same design as the OM1 which is in
my opinion the best design for a reflex camera...together with the Rs (R3
and leicaflex excepted...I hate the R3, love the leicaflexes but not for
their design which I think is somehow awkward...tank style). Unfortunately,
the OM1 is not very reliable...The OM4 I have is a Ti version which is even
better! The metering system is very intersting especially the multi-spot
which only existed on Canon (pardon my french) T90 (great stuff however) and
OM3Ti. Nevertheless, I don't like the "bips" that are emitted anytime you
press a key, it really bothers me. I'd like to have an M6 with a modern
metering system i.e. an good integrative and a real spot (or multi-spot)
instead of a raw selective (the area of which is not indicated in the
viewfinder) but I don't want the bips!! Finally, the multi-spot metering of
the OM4 is slow to use in manual mode an much faster in Aperture priority
mode which means that the future M will also need an automatic mode...as
well as a speed indicator in the vf...
I don't think that all of this would require a larger body but who knows...
Thib.