Subject: [Leica] Assorted ramblings
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 11:58:00 +0000

Having been away for a few days I read the digests yesterday and found I
had a few thoughts on things mentioned, so here gos...

Ed Maeyers mentioned the Tech Photo rapid winder for screw Leicas that
was 'knocked off' in Italy recently. There was a stall at Photokina which
had a multitude of Leica based adapters and stuff on offer, he was
Italian, I shall try to look up his details.
Fascinating about Konica being older than kodak, I never knew that.

The q. was posed by Leopold as to why Manchester for a LUG meeting in
2002, this was in response to Ted's mention of the next Commonwealth
Games being hosted here then. As I live here, that would make 2 of us for
a start! If fortunate, I shall try to make the 22nd Nov meet in London,
last train back to Manchester leaves at 10.05pm.

Tom, Jim, great posts on Photokina, thanks Jim, I did guess you were
pulling my leg about the coffee. I shall have to try harder in relaying
an account of my time too

Nathan,
The special edition prices you mentioned, the cost of the Danish Royal
Wedding camera was not merely in the top plate engraving but the expense
in aquiring a slice of wedding cake, invite to the recption and evening
ball and a souvenir reproduction of the bride's garter all included in
the box price... Or maybe not!

Dan Post asked about the rumoured Konica r/f camera, M or screw? Whilst
all the rumours have been M based it strikes me as odd that all the
recent Japanese Leica-fit lenses have been screw, presumably this is for
the 'retro' market and in the knowledge that they can be adapted for M
but not vice versa. But there is that other LTM r/f camera coming out of
Japan
http://plaza10.mbn.or.jp/~yasuhara/index-e.html
Canon LTM lenses also mentioned, it's thought that the top 3 were equal
to Leitz lenses of their time, the 35/2, 50/1.4 and 100/2, I've had the
first and have the second. I notice no difference to the Leitz lenses of
the same period but that could be imperfect processing on my part,
certainly its a useful cheaper alternative until one can get 'the real
thing'.

Paul Chefurka talked about the GR1 and Minolta TC1 cameras, both of which
have had their lenses extracted (not by dentists) and set into LTM
versions. I believe I saw one of the Minolta lenses at Photokina,
certainly the oriental gentleman was not keen on me examining it closely
and it had no engraving on it, but it was mounted on an M6 and had a
small element inside a widish mount, with no lens hood mounted either.
I've enjoyed your web site, the life and death series especially.

Mike Leitheiser asked about 40/2.8 Focotars, I know some would say that
autofocus enlargers are specifically matched to individual lenses, I'm
not so sure but if one is 39.2mm and another 40.9mm then perhaps so, but
certainly they are available, as are other 40mm lens which are offered by
other manufacturers. But they are expensive, I'd suggest looking for a
better deal inc. the lens. If you wish to buy my old metal 50mm Focotar
then mail me privately.

Gary,
Where on the Focotar do you find the number to determine it is a
Schneider lens and not a Leitz product?

Jim Gallagher was looking for a 20mm extension ring to adapt a Focotar-2
lens. If this is merely a 20mm LTM ring, then send me your address and
I'll post you one, I've a whole stash of rings awaiting some purpose in
life! The 39mm filter rings are .75mm thread whereas EL lenses (LTM) are
1mm thread, sorry Tom, I'm sure they'll work, I'm just a pedant
sometimes!

Jem

Jem