Subject: Re: [Leica] DOF and focusing
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:05:02 -0700

At 09:26 PM 9/29/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Its faster still if you divide the range you want to be sharp into thirds
>and focus on something at the end of the first 1/3. I have found that in
>daylight this works very well without consulting the DOF scale.
>Raimo

I know this works, for the most part, as I always do this in my R camera.
Then fine tune it with the DOF preview lever. But I did this for several
months here at home, with my M6 and did not always get the absolute crisp
sharp results that I wanted, so I went one step farther and placed what I
wanted in focus with in the proper focus zone. This became so second nature
that I find it quicker than the 1/3 estimation process. And unfortunately,
the 1/3 estimation process is just that, an estimate. I wanted (and still
want) to know EXACTLY what will and what will not be in focus.

The 1/3 estimation process does not take into consideration the f/stop you
are using. So more, or less, relative to where you focused, will be sharp
and unless you consult your DOF scales, you will not know, until the film
is processed, how much is going to be sharp.

Believe me, I've explored this thoroughly. My slides from my Europe trip
have amazing DOF. Far better than I ever hoped for. I some cases, I'm
stunned with the results. And it is simply looking at what you are
photographing and deciding what the important parts are. And making sure
that they are within the proper focus zone for the f/stop you are using.
It's really very basic and straight forward.

Jim

Jim Brick
(650) 470-1132

http://www.photoaccess.com