Subject: Re: [Leica] scanners, etc.
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:52:47 +0100

Chandos Michael Brown wrote:

>  Yet in the last weekend, I've produced what seems to me, at
>least,some breathtaking images (nearly all of them old Leica SM--Summarit,
>Summitar, Summicron) images, with a fidelity and dynamic range that simply
>boggles this skeptical imagination.
>
>Many of you already know this stuff, but there's something that borders on
>the sublime in rendering images shot with a 50 year old camera/lens combo,
>intermediated by an equally antique medium (silver on acetate) into a
>digital image over which I, in my clumsy way, have almost complete control.

That's the joy of using the best of the old with the best of the new
technology.

I'm also getting great results from my LS-20 using Silverfast software and
the original Stylus Photo - can't really justify trading up just yet. For
ultimate results, I've find white plastic film beats even photo glossy
paper as a medium, as the ink isn't absorbed at all and thus doesn't
spread. Give it plenty of time to dry, though.

The other really powerful filter I'd recommend is Intellihance, which
intelligently optimises about six different Photoshop parameters at once
while giving you full manual control if you need it.
95% of the time it gets it right, with a vast saving in time. Very cheap
for what it offers.

Happy printing!

Slan

Alex