Subject: [Leica] concerned about red dots attracting attention... not!
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 18:02:03 -0700

What you said is very interesting. My three week trip to Europe (England,
Holland, Germany, and Switzerland) saw 50 rolls of film through my M6 and
10 through my R7. My M6 was used EXTENSIVELY on the streets of Bradford,
Stratford-upon-Avon, Banbury, London, Windsor, Amsterdam, Interlaken,
Vallorbe, Neuchatel, Uckerath, Bonn, and K=F6ln. And numerous hotel lobbys
and restaurants. Not a single person. NOT ONE! Looked at my M6 and said
anything. I took pictures of lots of other people. Basically right in their
face, since they were in the scene. And not a single person flinched,
ducked, pointed, said anything... NOTHING! It was as if my M6 was
invisible. It was as if I was invisable! I swear that people think that it
is just another tourist and his Point and Shoot. People simply don't pay
any attention to P&S users and cameras. And this was the same in all of the
above listed countries.

One person, in a canal boat in Amsterdam, pointed to my daughters R7 and
said "that's a Leica." They were German and said something like "Das ist
ein Leica."=20

I don't think you M6 users need to worry about being "camera jacked".

Jim

At 07:12 PM 9/30/98 -0400, you wrote:

>BUT If you are one of the LUG members who is concerned about red dots
>attracting attention - carrying a hasselblad, even an all black one,=20
>attracts a staggering amount of unwanted attention.=20
>Over the last week I have visited the Isles of Harris & Lewis and Islay (
>for work - non photographic ) and was asked at least 5 times about the
>Hasselblad. The question was not ' thats a large camera what is it ?' but '
>that's a Hasselblad  itsn't it '.
>No one commented on the M6 under my jacket.
>
>Donald.

Jim Brick
(650) 470-1132

http://www.photoaccess.com