Subject: [Leica] [Leica] III identification
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 07:53:14 -0400

Wolfgang Frei wrote: =

> I recently bought a Leica III,  No. 133 218.
> Filippo Giunta, "Leica screw mount cameras", Brescia 1995, says on p. 1=
=3D
67,
> that this number is black. Mine is chrome. What=3D92s wrong? Are there =
mu=3D
tants in
> a batch?
> Wolfgang

I have to come out of the closet now and admit to being a collector. I ha=
ve
read the books which say what numbers were what colour. I have a LOT of
Leicas, several do not match the published colours but are also fairly
obviously not forgeries because they are not valuable enough to be worth
forging! Clearly the published lists are not 100% accurate and do not
always take into account the special orders in small batches which they
were prepared to do in earlier days.
Giunta is usually reliable because he lists serial numbers according to
what they should be, then actual details of cameras he has seen or been
reported to him. I do actually find the cosmetic aspect of collecting as
boring. I am an engineer and became interested in collecting interestingl=
engineered cameras, but I always look up cameras I buy in Giunta for just=

the reason you mention.I have for example noticed several Olive green M3s=

around number 9277** which implies a batch not published by Leica at the
time. There are too many and in sequence to imagine that they are
forgeries.
 In addition to the occasional innacuracy of the published Leica records
there were modifications and updates requested by owners during overhaul.=

This could also account for a change from black to chrome because black w=
as
considered downmarket considered to chrome when chrome first became
available.
Regards =

Frank =