Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/1.4 ASPH hood
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 09:52:07 -0700

At 07:53 AM 10/1/98 -0400, you wrote:
>"Hoyen ~simontart~"  wrote
>
>"the accessory hood's cutout near the viewfinder lets in the sun and other
>sources of light"
>
>My 35 f1.4 is the old aspherical not the latest ASPHbut no way I look can
>mine possibly allow light through the hood's viewfinder aperture in such a
>way as to impinge on the lens, so could not possibly allow flare. How could
>the new one be different?
>
>Cheers Frank

It must be different. On the new 35/1.4 ASPH, there is an exact angle where
the sun could come through the cut-out and hit the lens surface directly.
The angle, however, couldn't be more than a degree or two. But with a
Heliopan polarizer in place, it moves the front glass surface far enough
forward, that this cannot happen.

Jim

Jim Brick
(650) 470-1132