Subject: Re: [Leica] [leica] Angenieux zoom
From: thibault collin <tc-lnc@u-picardie.fr>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 18:51:35 +0200

At 17:30 01/10/1998 +0900, you wrote:
>I came across an Angenieux 35-70/2.5-3.3 zoom in Leica R mount at a second
>hand camera shop.  How good is this lens?  Can anyone recommend a website
>on 35mm Angenieux lenses? 	Thanks.

I've had this zoom in Nikon mount for a couple of years and was not very
satisfied with it. First, it's a very long lens especially when shade is
added. This zoom was one of the first large aperture trans-standard zoom
which could compete with fixed focals. It could compete but did not win :
it's sharp for sure at least at f/8 but surely lacks of contrast, in my
opinion, it has a very (too much) smooth rendition of contrast for all
apertures. It reminded me of an 1960s 50 mm s'cron I used at the same time
on a M2. Basically I didn't like it. As soon as I got the opportunity to try
the AF Nikkor f/2.8 35-70, I sold the Angenieux...The nikkor was much better...
Thib.