Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica use and Anniversary trip to Europe.
From: Mark Walberg <Walberg@simmons.swmed.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 12:35:22 -0600

Paul Collura recalls from his factory tour at Solms:
>If memory serves me correctly Leica lenses are ground to a tolerance of
>1/10,000 of a micron far exceeding the tolerances of any other camera
>manufacturer.

Paul, that is 10 to the -10th meters.  One Angstrom!  The thickness of one
base pair of DNA is 3.4 Angstroms.  We are talking atoms here.  I'm no
optical engineer, but those are mighty fine tolerances.  Could someone who
knows the details on this confirm or refute this?

>The vast majority of the thousands of tourists that I saw were holding
>Point and Shoot cameras.  I saw very few  Pro or serious amateur Nikon
>or Canon SLR cameras.

It sounds like a nice trip, Paul.
But, Hmmm.  No Speed Graphics??   No Rolleiflexes?  What is this world
coming to?    ;@]    ;*)  ;*}