Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: MR meter for M3
From: George Berger <gberger@his.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 20:19:57 -0400

Hi Dan -

Having used one of those "on the top" meters on my M 4 from the late '60s
until the early '80s, I'd only offer three observations:

a) The meters cover the approximate area of a 90mm lens

b) They are quirky, and slightly offbeat to use, as they have a pin that
engages and turns the shutter speed dial. You really have to *think* about
your exposure.

c) The batteries wear out quickly, and are difficult to replace.

We changed over, several years ago, to an incident light meter. Our current
meter - - a Sekonic 308BII - - is a beautiful incident meter, with the
capability, with the flick of your thumb, to act as a reflective meter that
covers the 50mm range.   The battery (a single AA) lasts for months, and,
it's more accurate. As for speed, I can take an incident reading and set
the shutter speed and/or f stop in a fraction of the time that it used to
take to use the on-body meter.

Just a thought

Best, George

George Berger