Subject: Re: [Leica] Hubble Paper Weight!?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 12:37:20 -0400

At 01:08 AM 1998-10-02 -0400, Dan Post wrote:
>I had read that the reason the Hubble Telescope was misground was that the
>sagitta of the mirror was calculated without the consideration of the
>Earth's gravity, or lack thereof, when the thing was placed in orbit!
>Typical "oops!" situation! I wonder if any similar situations have ever
>occurred in Solms or Wetzlar.

Good heavens!  Perkins-Elmer is a perfectly capable firm.  The problem with
the Hubble was that NASA, to save bucks, refused to pay for the final
tests, which would have revealed the astigmatism.

The problem has now been corrected, of course, and Hubble has been giving
us stunning images for more than a decade.  It has been a wonderful device,
and the "paper weight" canard is a cheap and quite undeserved jab -- the
better jab would be at NASA, which is said to stand for "Needlessly
Assinine and Stupid Arrangements".  If it were up to me, I'd fire the lot
and turn space exploration back to the military, where it belongs.  But
that's far off-topic, so I'd suggest that conversation is better conducted
off-line.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!