Subject: Re: [Leica] Need Help on R8
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 18:00:57 +0200

On 03-10-1998 17:19 Lucien wrote:

>How was the Leica Seminar ? I will love to make it.
>
>What did they said about the motor ?
>--

Lucien:

I wrote a seperate contribution on the seminar for the LUG list.

As far as the motordrive is concerned, the schedule date for the end of
'99 is confirmed. The Leica people consider the motordrive problem as a
major "embarrassment" for them.
The problem has to do with the fact that it is apparently very difficult
to put a high speed (4 frames per second) drive on a camera which has
also a manual film advance lever. This problem is much more important
than with the winder (only 2 fps) because the motor needs much more
"pulling" power.
I reminded them of the Nikon FM mechanical body with manual film advance
I purchased back in 1982 (with Nikon MD12 motordrive up to 3.5 fps), so I
don't know what is really going on. The only comment was that they feel
very sorry about it.
This sad fact will, of course, hinder the acceptance of the R8 among
professional photographers. For me personally though, the winder (2 fps)
is more than enough. The bulk and weight of the motor are too much. The
only advantage of the motor is the bracketing function that is built-in.

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
An Apple a day keeps greedy Microsoft away !