Subject: Re: [Leica] 2 cam 3 cam
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 16:39:42 -0700

At 03:27 PM 10/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
> I asked this off list to a member but didnt get a response; will try on
>list:
>
>What is the effect of using a 2 cam lens on a current R camera;;the owners
>manual states the camera may be damaged;; any experience with this??jh

R lenses & cams 101:

Leica R lenses for Leicaflex cameras with external meter are single-cam
lenses (one axial cam.)

Leica R lenses for TTL meter Leicaflex cameras are two-cam lenses (two
axial cams.)

Leica R lenses for Leica-R cameras (R3 - R8) are three-cam lenses (two
axial & one rotational cam.)

You may use any Leicaflex or Leica R lens on any reflex body without worry
of damaging your camera or lens. Exception: p62 R8 manual.
There are four lens versions: One axial
cam for use with the original Leicaflex (external metering), Two axial cams
for all Leicaflex cameras, Two axial & one rotational cam for use on all
Leicaflex and Leica R cameras, and a 50mm f/2 Summicron-R with only the
rotational cam, for use on the Leica R only. However, all reflex lenses
will work on any Leicaflex or Leica R camera body. If you use a one or two
cam lens on a Leica R body, you must stop down the lens to take a meter
reading. Otherwise the reading will be wrong. Likewise using a one cam lens
on a Leicaflex with TTL metering.

The above information came directly from "Applied Leica Technique" by
Gunter Osterloh, published by Umschau Verlag. The information is on pages
84 & 85. "If an R lens without rotational cam is used accidently on a Leica
R camera, it will produce incorrect exposure. But it does not cause any
physical damage to camera or lens." Simply stop down to take a correct
exposure reading. A Leica R lens without a rotational cam is a Leicaflex lens.

CONVERSION OF LEICAFLEX LENSES FOR USE ON LEICA R MODELS:
Existing LEICAFLEX lenses can be fitted with an additional cam for the full
utilization of the LEICA R exposure facilities.
The use of modified lenses on all LEICAFLEX models remains unrestricted.
Modification through Technical Service Center, Ernst Leitz Wetzlar GmbH, or
authorized workshops of the Leitz National Agencies.

CONVERSION OF LEICA R LENSES TO FILTER THREAD E 55:
60 mm MACRO-ELMARIT f/2.8 up to Serial No.3013650
90 mm ELMARIT-R f/2.8 up to Serial No.2809000
90 mm SUMMICRON-R f/2 up to Serial No.2770950
100 mm MACRO-ELMAR f/4 up to Serial No.2933350
135 mm ELMARIT-R f/2.8 up to Serial No. 2772 618

CONVERSION OF LEICA R LENSES TO FILTER THREAD E 60:
180 mm APO-TELYT-R f/3.4 up to Serial No.2947024
Modification through Technical Service, Ernst Leitz Wetzlar GmbH, or
authorized workshops of the Leitz National Agencies.

CONVERSION OF LEICA R LENSES FOR ADDITIONAL USE EN LEICAFLEX MODELS
>From the stated serial numbers onwards, the following lenses fit on all
LEICA R models but no longer on the LEICAFLEX models.
Most of these lenses can be equipped with the control cams necessary for
use on the LEICAFLEX models by the Technical Service of Ernst Leitz GmbH or
in authorized workshops.

CAN BE EQUIPPED FOR LEICAFLEX MODELS:
28 mm ELMARIT-R f/2.8 from 3367501 - all models
35 mm ELMARIT-R f/2.8 from 3332801 - all
50 mm SUMMILUX-R f/1.4 from 3291801 - all
60 mm MACRO-ELMAR-R f/2.8 from 3335501 - SL/5L2 models
80 mm SUMMILUX R f/1.4 from 3267301 - no
90 mm SUMMICRON-R f/2 from 3381677 - all
90 mm ELMARIT-R f/2.8 from 3384201 - SL/5L2 models

Hope this helps,

Jim