Subject: Re: [Leica] Hoods for 35/1.4 ASPH and 50/2: good tip.
From: Michael Garmisa <elmar@webreach.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 20:16:17 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998 AJSymi@aol.com wrote:

> << B&H makes a folding rubber hood in 39mm
>  and a foldign wide angle hood (not in 39) has anyone used htese products
>  or specifically has anyone used them with the new 50/2?  >>
> -------------------------------
> Michael & Jim:
>
> Perhaps I missed the first part of this thread, but what is wrong with the
> built-in lens hood on the new 50f2.0??  I think the built-in lens hood on the
> Leica lenses that offer them is a tremendous attribute.
>
> Arturo

The problem is that it collapses why anything taps it, this is bad for two
reasons. First, it leaves you always checking to make sure it is extended
and you ocassionally take a picture with no hood.  Second, since it
collapses easily it doesn't really offer any physical protection to the
front element (i won't mention UV filters).  If the hood on this lens had
a locking mechanism I would be very happy with it.
Is this the experience of others who use this lens?

- --
Michael Garmisa <elmar@webreach.com>
PGP/KeyID BCB27DC1
fingerprint = 2C 1A AF 1C BE B4 5B E8  F2 A3 09 42 42 B1 10 CC