Subject: [Leica] Built-in lens hood on the new 50f2.0, was: Hoods for 35/1.4 ASPH and 50/2: good tip.
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 12:09:11 +0200

AJSymi@aol.com wrote:

> Perhaps I missed the first part of this thread, but what is wrong with the
> built-in lens hood on the new 50f2.0??
> I think the built-in lens hood on the
> Leica lenses that offer them is a tremendous attribute.

I agree for all the R lenses and for the M lenses of 75mm and more,
but certainly not for the current M 50/2, 50/1,4 and 50/1.

- -not effective as lens hood, specially with filters.
- -no protection against shock, because the lens hoods are so short
 and it collapses so easily.
- -the cap never stay on it.(50/2)
- -with the 50/2 you can't use the old Polfilter anymore,
  you have to buy the new model.

It's a bit like the M6TTL: a good idea but not achieved like it should
and maybe not really necessary. (like also the Tri-Elmar)
;-)

But thanks to the fact that the lens computations of the predecessors
of those 3 lenses are the same as in the new ones, we still have the
choice second hand.
(Same for the Classic M6)
But I'm not sure this is good for the future of Leica Camera AG.

Lucien