Subject: Re: [Leica] Power switch
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 12:48:38 EDT

On Mon, 05 Oct 1998 17:38:07 +0200 "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
writes:
>N. B. Watson wrote:
>>
>> Interesting to note, after all the jury-rigging
>> we've done to circumvent this problem, I picked up a friend's Nikon
>FM2n
>> this morning, and with the wind lever pressed in to the body, the
>shutter
>> button/meter switch is securely locked; pop the winder out to the
>ready
>> position and it unlocks.
>

>I have a Nikon FM2. How annoying is it when you're taking
>vertical-format
>shots and the damn wind lever digs into your forehead?
>
>How comfortable is it to have to jam your thumb between the housing
>and the
>wind lever, especially as the leverage of your forehead against the
>lever
>threatens to crush it?
>
>How annoying is it, when you forget to jam your thumb inbetween the
>housing
>and the lever, the camera switches off, just as you are going to
>release
>the shutter?
>
>How stupid is that particular design?
>

>M.

How close is the FM2 eyepiece (in midships on the prism)  to the winder?
How much *farther* is it from the eyepiece of a Leica-M (at the far left)
to *its* winder?
How did you miss my point: that a winder-operated shutter lock would be a
good design for the *Leica*,  and *not* that the FM2 is an ergonomic
masterpiece by any means?
Personally I'd as much fancy a simple concentric locking ring round the
shutter button; however I know there are those out there who would
complain it would annoy them lest they remember each time to lock and
unlock it.

Regards,
Nigel

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]