Subject: Re: [Leica] blasphemy
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 14:04:50 -0700

Where I come from, free speech is a constitutional right. I know nothing
about Mr. Yasuhara, his efforts, etc. I don't read Japanese. I'm talking
about THE CAMERA. After looking at the camera on the "free speech World
Wide Web" I gave my honest opinion of what I saw. I still don't know where
the camera came from, and I really don't care. I am not interested in
Japanese cameras and if it looks like a Petri to me, well... that's what it
looks like to me.

I will continue to give my opinion on things photographic. I don't believe
Mr. Yasuhara has much of a chance of success. Perhaps on the Asian market.
But this is not a camera for serious photographers. You can get a Leica
repaired anywhere in the world. You can buy accessories and lenses for
Leica anywhere in the world. There is a world wide organization behind
Leica, tens of thousands of people making their living manufacturing,
selling, repairing, using, etc... Leica. Mr. Yasuhara's camera is nothing
more than a novelty. As I said, for collectors and photo dabblers, not
serious photography.

So shame on you for not having an open mind enough to realize that people
from different parts of the world see things differently. And some actually
are able to directly verbalize what they are thinking without getting hung
up on protocol. And it has absolutely nothing to do with the man, the
company, or whomever or whatever is behind it. It is the camera. And only
the camera. No spirits involved here.

And as far as blasphemy goes... Webster defines blasphemy as "irreverence
toward something considered sacred or inviolable" I doubt if my opinion
about a camera (a piece of hardware) that I looked at on the WWW has any
resemblance to blasphemy. But if you think it is, so be it. You can think
what you want. And then I guess I have been blasphemizing the new Leica
M6TTL as well. I don't like it. But I do like Leica. And all of the Leica
people that I know. Including LUGgers.

Jim

PS... I truly wish Mr. Yasuhara all the luck in the world. I hope his
product is a wild success. But I will not be a customer. And believe me, I
know it's not a Petri rip-off... that was a joke. I didn't think anyone out
there even knew what a Petri was. So lighten-up.