Subject: OT: Nikon service was: Re: [Leica] 35 goggled - long and on and off topic -
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@ms.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 08:13:00 +0900

- --------------08FC332A5165D7FCDAD9290B

Well, it really depends on the model.  If you want to have your old Nikkorex
fixed, you are out of luck.  However, if you have a model I, S, S2, SP, S3,
S4, F, F2 that requires service, they will overhaul them, to the extent
possible.  Nikon recently remanufacturered the rangefinder prisms for S3, as
I heard from reliable sources.  Nikon charges about $500, but apparently
loses $500 for every S3 serviced.

N. B. Watson wrote:

> In a word, in a pig's eye.  Nikon USA refuses to service any camera more
> than 10 years out of current production.  What's more, parts are
> unavailable to independent repair shops.  Whatever they can't salvage or
> make, they can't repair.
>
> Regards,
> Nigel
>
> On Mon, 05 Oct 1998 21:21:20 +0900 Tom Kumagai <kumagai@po.cnet-ma.ne.jp>
> writes:
>
> >and many of which are - according to Nikon lovers that I know - still
> >serviciable.
> >According to them Nikon takes good care of their old customers, and
> >that's why they
> >are sticking with F mount, (but I
> >think another reason is that as their flagship cameras are named
> >F-

> Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

- --------------08FC332A5165D7FCDAD9290B

begin:          vcard
fn:             Ken Iisaka
n:              Iisaka;Ken
org:            Morgan Stanley Japan, Limited
email;internet: kiisaka@ms.com
title:          Manager, E-Business Technology Client Service
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard