Subject: Re: [Leica] Tripod - Gitzo Carbon Fibre G1349 + Arca G1 head
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 20:25:03 -0600

Why get the 1349? The 1348's cheaper, lighter, and still rises plenty high
(same tripod, minus the center column). It's kind of hefty though. I
compromised by getting the 1228, which is a little small for my 4x5, but
useable, so long as one is mindful that it's a very light tripod, and that
it's being used in a top-heavy configuration. Wonderfully easy to carry
about, and it'd be more so, if I had a smaller ballhead for use with the M6.

The Arca B1 seems optimum with a medium format camera such as the
Hasselblad, but is certainly useable with a 4x5 (at least my wooden one) and
Leica M. The B1's smoothness and gravity-defying friction mechanism are
wonderful; it's control layout, less so.

Jeff