Subject: Re: [Leica] two ?'s.
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 11:33:05 -0700

I answered these for you the other day. Guess you didn't receive it.

1/2 shutter speeds: click stop on shutter dial between marked speeds. The
value is displayed in the viewfinder.

Mirror/diaphragm vibration is a problem with any SLR at speeds below 1/30th
second, down to 1/2 second. The resonant frequency of the camera operation
is in tune with the length of time that the shutter is open, thus causing a
slightly soft image. The longer the lens, the more pronounced the problem.
MLU eliminates this problem. If your photographs are for happy snaps or
8x10 prints max, you probably do not see a problem. Slide shows (Leica
projector lenses) or large prints will definitely be affected by camera
mechanics vibration at the deadly speeds (1/15, 1/12. 1/8, 1/6, & 1/4).
When I use a tripod (always with my R camera) I also use MLU.

Jim

At 06:16 PM 10/6/98 +0000, you wrote:

>I have two queries concerning a recent communication RE Leica R that I
>still need enlightenment on....
>
><<<<<<<<The R7 has the added
>advantage of having 1/2 shutter speeds so bracketing while in manual is
>simplified.<<<<<<<<<<<
>
>How is this achieved with a manual shutter dial? On my N90 naturally I just
>dial it in on the screen. Are there grades in the shutter dial like on a
>lens?
>
>AND:
>
><<<<<<<<The R7 has less mirror vibration than previous R cameras.
><<<<<<<<<<<<
>
>Is this a problem, really? I mean any different from any other SLR? I use
>an N90 for lots of table top work and it has no MLU and I've never had a
>problem vibration wise so long as I use a timer and a good tripod. Are the
>R's noted for vibration problems?
>
>JG

http://www.photoaccess.com
Jim Brick, ASMP, BIAA