Subject: Re: [Leica] Production figures M6 .85/aspheric lenses/best lenses
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 14:25:02 -0400

At 08:29 PM 06-10-98 +0200, Erwin wrote:
>that the overall performance of the superb lens approaches an overall
>performance figure of 50 (halfway the maximum). But now the other two types
>of lenses will also get that level of 50. The potential differences are on
>such high a level that the photographer will never experience them given
>his technique or subject matter or shooting preferences. Using f/8.0,
>handheld or on tripod and using (fill-in)flash will almost nullify any
>performance difference.

In other words, the decision to purchase a given Leica lens should be based
mainly on criteria such as cost, weight, aperture range, filter size, etc.,
and less on theoretical, laboratory condition, performance.  Basically,
there are no bad Leica lenses, they will all perform as well as the
majority of applications will require of them.

I have been toying with the idea of replacing my 90 Tele-Elmarit with the
new APO-Summicron, when it becomes available.  But I am asking myself,
"why?".  My T-E takes fine photographs, weighs next to nothing, handles
beautifully, and takes cheap 39mm filters (in common with my DR Summicron),
of which I already own a bunch.  The only thing missing is the f2 aperture,
and when I need that I can use my 75.  What am I really getting for the
litterally thousands of Canadian dollars the lens will cost me?

Dan C.