Subject: Re: [Leica] Questions about Leica
From: "Charles E. Albertson" <chucko@ricochet.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 13:19:38 -0700

At 02:33 PM 10/7/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear LUG members,
>
>	I'm new in this digest and have two questions about
>Leica.
>
>1. Recently, I found a Summicron 35mm f2 (series number 36130xx)
>   lens. Is it an ASPH lens or not? How can I identify whether
>   the lenses are ASPH or non-ASPH from their barrels (exteriors)
>   ? Did they simultaneously produce both lenses?

	A Summicron ASPH will have the following on it (looking at the front of
the lens): "Summicron-M 1:2/35 ASPH." followed by the filter size (E39) and
the serial number (mine starts with 376xxxx, and was purchased fairly early
in the production. I don't think the Summicron-M and the ASPH were produced
simultaneously. I believe Leica discontinued the Summicron-M when they
introduced the ASPH.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.