Subject: [Leica] Visoflex and Co.
From: thibault collin <tc-lnc@u-picardie.fr>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 17:07:59 +0200

Hi,

I have some remark about the viso system :

1) I've seen really beautiful portraits made with the viso and the head of
the elmarit 90 mm.
It works great, as well as with the heads of the 135 tele elmar or even
elmarit. Does the last version of the
elmarit 135 allows the unscrewing of its head?
2) The main problem I've seen with the viso was the exposure.
Since I used it with a M3 or a MDa, there was no TTL measurement so we had
to use a handheld meter and correct the exposure with respect to the tables
furnished with the viso...sometimes it's difficult especially for macro. The
best system I found was to use a flash...(sic) in auto mode of course and
overexpose by one full stop! This worked at least with the elmarit 90 and
adapter number...never mind.
I forgot another drawback : the elmarit 90 only allowed the focusing at real
aperture, of course there was no auto preset...(jurassic park concept : I've
seen on the box of a regular Nikon F that It's written : fully automatic
reflex camera! kinda funny nowadays...). The only lenses I saw with a
"manual preset" which means an additional ring around the lense were the 65
elmar and the 200 f/4 maybe the longer also have this "preset".
So basically, I had to have it fully open to focus and to think to close it
before shooting...
3) It should be OK to use with the M6 unless you have to lock the mirror up
and look at the M6's finder window to adjust the exposure. Off course, you
don't have to be in a hurry!
4) I'm sure it should be possible to have it work with TTL flash w/ the new
M6! There should be a way to modifiy a SCA shoe to have it slide under the
finder prism or use another finder...
5) New focusing screens for viso are available at Brightscreen, these are
much better than the original ones!
Thib.