Subject: Re: [Leica] Ted, the M6, and flash
From: bfranson@greennet.net (Bill Franson)
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 11:53:03 +0000

"You can use flash with an M6, but the use-fit really isn't
>there either. It's real obvious that Leica put a PC outlet and a hot shoe
>on the M6 to satisfy that somewhat rare situation (like spelunking) when
>you absolutely have to use flash."

I know this conversation is really about on-camera flash but I would just
like to relate that I am using my M6 more often on black and white shoots
with one or two Dynalight heads and an infrared trigger in the hotshoe and,
of course, a flash meter. With the IR trigger I'm not tethered to the
powerpack and am free to move, even out of rooms. 1/50th isn't a limiting
factor since I'm up in the 5.6-11 fstop area and am using slow speeds to
mix in what available light I can. Often, shooting in available light and
wide open isn't an option for me. I need the depth of field that f1.4 or f2
wouldn't provide. Also, seeing the subject(s) when the flash pops is a
definite bonus (no mirror dropout).
Previously I'd been doing this kind of shoot with my Nikon stuff but I
noticed that I was always turning off the auto functions. My Nikon wasn't
giving me anything the Leica wouldn't.
I'd love to us my M6 on color shoots as well but I find myself having to
color correct too often and I don't know of a good filter holding system
for wrattens. Anyone out there surmount this problem?

Bill Franson