Subject: Re: [Leica] Europe: street/museum photography
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 11:55:22 -0700

At 10:16 AM 10/8/98 -0700, you wrote:
> It's been a few years since several frequent ventures to the
UK/Netherlands/Germany. During those visits I enjoyed the sights and as a
tourist took many street and museum photos. Now I am planning the first of
several return trips, now to Belgium, Germany, France and UK. I'll be
taking my M3, 50mm Summilux, 35mm Sumicron and a hand-held meter (no flash).

>Two topics
>
>1) Many of the guide books I've read lately are warning about thieft of
equipment on the streets. That was certainly not the case five years ago.
Have things changed considerably? What do people in Europe do to secure
equipement if that is the case.

>Roger

I just got back from three weeks roaming the streets of England, Holland,
Germany, and Switzerland. Mostly M6 (60 rolls of film), M6 around my neck
at all times.

Not once did I feel in danger of losing my camera. There was no hint of
this kind of a problem, anywhere. Weekend mobs in London, Amsterdam, Bonn,
etc. gave me no cause to worry. My daughter had an R7 around her neck and a
small bag over her shoulder most of the time as well.

I cannot see any reason to be cautious to the point of not enjoying
yourself. Just the normal cautionary rules should apply.

Jim

http://www.photoaccess.com
Jim Brick, ASMP, BIAA
Photo Access