Subject: Re: [Leica] Color v Black and White
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 21:51:36 EDT

Today I took the girls to a pumpkin patch farm to get in the Halloween mode.
I used color and black and white film.  I have found myself using more and
more black and white film.  While shooting a roll of color, I was looking
forward to finishing the roll so that I could shoot some more black and while
photos.  For me, black and white has some advantages.

For one thing I find it easier to compose with black and white.  When using
color, I have to be aware of the color mix in the photo, in  addition to the
balance of light.  Some colors do not look good together.   Moreover, I
particularly find it important to pay attention to the colors in the
background.  They can distract or interfere with the main subject.

I also find that black and white is easier to use in difficult lighting
situations involving high contrast.  At times, letting an area go black or
wash out can be acceptable with black and white.  This is almost never the
case with color.

Additionally, I like the focus that black and white gives to a photo.  The
color is not the message - the subject and lighting are.  It narrows the
focus.  (By focus, I mean the main attention - not depth of field).

Tom Shea