Subject: RE: [Leica] Available light in the OR
From: "B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 12:37:26 -0400

> I'd prefer shooting surgeons at work using B&W but they like to have
> slides for presentations so I do both......  I've not had one complain
> about the color of the slides yet  (some art directors might though)  ...
> they are usually glad when I come by because they know my shots will turn
> out.
>
> Duane Birkey

Duane - I have found with negative color that, as you noted with slides, the
color is off, but quite interesting and also quite acceptable - in fact, I
shot the cover photo on the hardcover version of my book, O.R., with Kodak
Gold 1000, with no correction what so ever...

However, it seems to me there is what amounts to an ethical argument against
using flash, floods, or anything else of the sort in the O.R., and that is
the distraction factor. I, for one, worry enough about the fact that my very
presence in the O.R. changes the work dynamic - to say nothing of my
non-sterile equipment. I would hate to have to lose sleep wondering whether
my flash, floods, etc., made it that much harder for a surgeon to see and
had ANY effect on the outcome of the surgery. Obviously, I'm not talking
about taking medical photos while the team steps away from the patient,
etc., but rather am talking about doing photo journalism/documentary photos
in the O.R.

Cheers..

B. D.