Subject: [Leica] Zeiss and Leica part 3
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 21:06:21 +0200

Ed proposed that the reason for constructing the Contar(ex) and the Leica(flex)
simply was the commercial drive to sell lenses. I would like to expand a
little. If there ever on this world existed two idealistic companies that
are  more involved in fostering the art of photography than in the business
of it by providing photographic instruments attuned to a photoraphers
vision, then Zeiss and Leica must be included. The Nikon F surely was a
carefully designed and almost flawlessly executed composition of the best
of both worlds (Z & L). This camera-system however lacked one ingredient:
passion. It still is absent in its latest incarnation: F5.
The older Contax(ex), is a very nice system and I gladly acknowledge Marc's
knowledge and approach to all matters relating Zeiss being superior to
mine.
And yes it is unfair to compare the Contarex of the 60's with an R8 from
the 90's. I has not been my intention to make a direct comparison. I just
wanted to extract some perennial design issues about cameras and lenses
that transcend the mere technicalities and relate more to styles of
photography.
I have used both the older Contax and Contarex quite a lot. These cameras
did not seduce me in the same way the Leica M2 did (my first one). After
much reflection I noted the 'heavy' engineering as one cause. And when
lately testing the Contax RTS line, I noted that even the latest Contax has
this feeling of over-engineering. Utterly competent, no doubt, but I
wondered then and now what kind of photography the designers had in mind
when they started sketching on the drawing board.
As an aside I may mention that I was an avid biker (yes BMW boxers of
course). And I prouded myself on my driving style. An American magazine
described this style: european bikers are travelling with dedicated and
utmost precison through dense traffic as a hot knive slices through butter.
This description holds well for a Leica photographer. Leica photography
cuts off slices of the time/space continuum with the same dedication and
precision. I doubt if it is appropriate for a photographer with Zeiss
equipment: as an analogy: they travel with the serene supremacy of a Rolls
Royce owner.

Erwin