Subject: Re: [Leica] Simple M questions
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:15:37 EDT

Bill:

You could very well be right.  As stated in my note the source of information
was the Leica Compendium (May 1994 Edition) page 178.  The chart states that
the M4-2 WInder (product # 14214 is usable with the M4-P.  It also states that
each of the winders made since are usable (14400, 14403) with the M4-P.  It
also states that the original winder (14214) will not work with the M6.

I owned one of the original M4-2 winders and it was very noisy.  I now own
Tom's winder and like it very much.  I would purchase a motor winder if Leica
made one with the specs you describe.

Thanks for the note.

Bob Bedwell

<< I have to disagree on one point.  The original M4-2 Winder will only work
on a
 M4-2 and will not work on any later M4-P or M6.  It really is an inferior
 design and cannot be modified to work on later cameras.  This is why you
often
 see them used for $125.  Tom A claims they can even cause excessive wear and
 damage to M4-2's.  Later models are much improved and not prone to damaging
 the camera.

 It's a travesty that Leica has not seen fit to introduce a new motor for the
 M.  Something about the size of the R8 winder, powered by lithium cells would
 be in order.  After all, motor technology has advanced a bit in the last
 twenty years since the Winder M4-2 appeared.  Leica's answer at the Photokina
 LUG meeting was that there is insufficient demand for a new winder.  Hogwash!
 If they made a decent, small, quiet winder for less than the $900 being
 charged for the current one, people would buy it.

 Then again, Tom A's Rapidwinder accomplishes the same thing without relying
on
 battery power and provides Tom with a livelihood.

 Bill Rosauer