Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W again....
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 20:59:29 EDT

Francesco:

You don't even have to spend $200.

I don't know where you live but there may be some photo shows in your area
which would be an excellent place to buy a stainless steel tank.  I would
suggest that you purchase a tank that would handle 1-120 reel or 2-35mm reels.
The tank and reels, if you don't choose a Kinderman or Hewes should cost you
no more than $30.  You will need a film developer and I recommend liquids
because there is less waste and much more convenient.  TMAX Developer will
cost you around $10, Xtol around the same(my preference).   A stop bath ( I
use Ilford Stop Bath because it is a liquid) will cost you around $6.  A fixer
( again I use Ilford because it is a liquid) will cost around $10.  Photo Flo
will cost around $5.  So, now you are up to around $60.  You need a
thermometer.  A good one will cost around $25 (be sure to check it out for
accuracy and don't purchase one that can't be calibrated).  Next you will need
some clips to hang your negatives with.  I use the plastic potato chip bags
clips from the grocery store at about a buck for a two pack.   You could use a
graduate, a funnel and a few plastic bottles to store your chemicals.  I think
you will still be under $125.

I don't think that I missed anything but you still have money left over.

Good luck,

Bob Bedwell
<<
 What is the bare minimum of equipment one would need to
 develop B&W negatives in the bathroom sink?
 Could someone give me a detailed list of items I could take
 to the local pro photo shop and have no problem acquiring?
 Just the basics please, no fancy equipment of expensive
 items......yet.  Hopefully I can at least practice processing
 my own negs for under $200.