Subject: [Leica] Web sites
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 14:28:54 +1000

Jeff ,
##############
The sites which come immediately to mind which provide big-enough pictures to
really look at are Francesco's 5senses, and Phil Greenspun's photo.net.  I
commend Mr. Greenspun for making a choice of resolutions routinely available
as part of the infrastructure he's set up, and I commend Francesco on the
superb technical quality of the images he makes available.  Now, can I
convince others, whose pictures might personally interest me even more, to
do the same?  Tina?  Eric?  Ted?  Hans?  Alastair?
##############

Thanks for the wake up call ;-) I am so far behind in my LUG reading that
this is pretty old and boring news, but for me, the design of the web page
takes on many forms. I started with a mixture of my personal interests, and
whilst learning HTML, developed some ideas on how I would progress my
presentation. My Geisha page [now removed], was my first attempt at a theme
page, rather that themes within a page, the Japan page [now removed] was an
attempt to provide a "Glimpse", as the title had said. I deliberately left
out any words, letting the pictures speak for themselves, and combined
larger images with 'wall-paper' groups of images as a tour. Some people
liked the layout, some asked for words, and others for larger images. My
last page was a  bit of a rush, but I have presented some of the Japanese
images in slightly larger format. In fact, I've limited my format to allow
for those who have smaller screens deliberately. There are so many
possibilities with the home page and its creative layout. I love the
challenge, but don't really have enough time. I will take on board your
request, especially as I'm working on a "know your lens: Summarex"
presentation, as well as planning to "subject" the images of my upcoming
tour of USA and London. If you can make any comments on the lay out or
better ways of presentation I will be delighted, and if you can comment on
any of the images critically the delight will be the same---- its all a
process of creative progress to me ;-) I nearly forgot to add that my
server limits my space, and I find that I get bored if the page is too slow
to download.

cheers

Alastair Firkin,