Subject: Re: [Leica] APO-Extender-R advice
From: "Bill Christensen" <kangwei@interaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 22:59:54 -0500

Greg,

I have used the 280 APO f4 lens with the 1.4x extender.  The image quality
is superb -- equal to a prime 400 lens.  I also have shot extensively with
the 560 lens with and without the 1.4x extender.  With the 1.4x, the image
quality is very good.  Unfortunately, I do not have direct experience with
the 2x APO extender.

In short, the decision to purchase the 1.4x for the 280 lens or a prime 400
or 560 lens depends upon subject matter and lens usage.  I find the 280 with
a 1.4x to be a very portable combination that offers 2 focal lengths.  The
prime 400 and 560 lenses offer the advantage of rapid focus with the
trombone style movement.  This is particularly important when shooting
handheld.

That reminds me of an image that got away.  Eight years ago, I was shooting
killer whales off the coast of Alaska.  When the boat captain announced that
we would pull away in a few minutes, I squeezed off several shots on dorsel
fins.  Not too exciting.  When the captain started the engine, a killer
whale breached filling the frame of my 560 lens.  I hit the shutter button.
Nothing happened.  The R body was out of film.  The mental image of the
breach is still magnificent.  The trick is how to scan it onto film.

Bill Christensen