Subject: [Leica] B&W again...
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 12:38:51 -0700

Francesco

>>You wrote:

>>What is the bare minimum of equipment one would need to
>>develop B&W negatives in the bathroom sink?

All you really need is a tank, reel(s), thermometer, something to measure
volume (grad or measuring cup) and containers for developer and fixer.

Used darkroom equipment is fairly common. I'd recommend that anyone spend a
little extra for a good tank and good reels. The best isn't that much more
expensive. Finding it used can be a little challenging. Cheap reels
especially can be extremely frustrating. I prefer to use stainless
(Kinderman, Hewes) but the plastic Patterson tanks and reels are not bad.
You can do 1 or 2 rolls of 35 or one roll of 120 in a 16 oz stainless tank.
Also, it pays to get a good thermometer. I have a very accurate mercury
thermo, which I like more than my dial thermometers. I also use a changing
bag (I have a darkroom now and I still use it). A really good basic setup
can be had for well under $100 used.

I still haven't outgrown my initial purchases. Quite often I'll shoot a
couple rolls of b/w in a day and use a 16 oz tank to develop that night. I
usually only mess with the rotory processor if I return from a trip with
lots of film, or I get backed up for some other reason.

I have several enlargers (Saunders 67 Dichro and Omega for 4X5). For 35mm I
use a late model Leitz Focomat 1c that I bought in mint condition for $200,
Focotar included. I use an old, but very functional ByChrome vacuum easel
($50 used) in combination and this it is absolutely the best system I have
ever used for 35mm b/w. I stationed the vacuum pump outside my darkroom and
piped it through the wall to the easel to elminate all noise and vibration.
Obviously a vacuum easel isn't essential but it allows me to use any size
paper with the Focomat, and even large paper stays extremely flat.

Before I got the Focomat Ic I used an old Leitz Valloy II, for which I paid
$75 about 8 years ago. It was ideal when I had to print in a bathroom. It
was light, easy to set up, easy to move and it's capable of making fine
prints. It was probably made in the '30s and it still remains in perfect
alignment. I like the helicoid arrangement for accurate focusing, and for
neg stage and lens stage alignment. I've taken it with me on extended trips
and I've even used it in a hotel bathroom. If you ever run across one, buy
it. Just make sure it has the neg carrier (mine did). Same with the
Focomat. One caveat regarding the Valloy is that you need an extension tube
for the lens if you want to print smaller than 6X9. The helicoid is sturdy,
but the extension range is limited.

I keep my other enlargers to print different formats. I've gone full circle
and I'm back to printing mostly 35mm, because I enjoy it more. It's
certainly simplifies things if you stick to 35mm. There are many good
enlargers you can pick up for a song. Add a good lens, d a couple of trays
and containers, and you're set for printing. I love to print. Unfortunately
I seem to lack enough good negatives.