Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W / Color
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 16:40:56 EDT

There was a time, early on in the advent of colour photography for the
masses, that more images "worked" in colour...simply because it was new
and exciting and *colourful*.  Now that viewers are saturated (pardon the
unintentional pun) with colour images, I think that it is requiring more
and more ingenuity to impart visual impact to colour images than it once
was.  OTOH, practitioners of B&W have never had the luxury of the colour
palette and, as you say, *blood sweat and tears*...or at least
substantial purposeful forethought...has always been required to produce
the finest work in that medium.

Regards,
Nigel

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 22:03:25 -0700 Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> writes:
>Back when I started in photography, I was in Junior Hi, 8th grade, 13
>years
>old, 1951. The science teacher, Guy Cochran, started a photography
>club,
>and taught us how to develop film. No reels, the yo-yo method. We made
>contact prints using a print frame and goose neck lamp. My camera was
>a 120
>folding camera. Sometime that year I bought an old Federal enlarger
>and set
>it up in my bedroom closet on a card table. At some point in the next
>couple of years, I bought a Rolleicord. My uncle, in Baker Oregon,
>owned
>the local drug store which had a photo department. I got it at cost. I
>took
>pictures for the High School yearbook. Everything until now was B&W.
>While
>in HS, I used some Ektachrome (E2) and processed it myself at home (E2
>kit). It turned out great and I still have the 2-1/4 slides. Somewhat
>faded, but there. I went to Oregon State College engineering school. I
>belonged to the photo club and took pictures for the year book. Except
>for
>the Ektachrome while in HS, everything was still B&W. After OSC (OSU
>now) I
>went to Brooks Institute of Photography.
>
>At Brooks, in 1960, you start with only a view camera, incident meter,
>and
>B&W film. Super XX. You learn everything there is to know about
>compression, expansion, gamma, dynamic range, etc, etc, etc... All
>work
>(assignments) is printed and mounted on matt board, every week, for
>critique. All B&W. Minimum 8x10, max 16x20. Normally work was printed
>11x14. About the second year into Brooks, I learned both type-C
>printing
>and Dye Transfer. Over the past thirty years, I've printed a lot of
>B&W,
>Type-C, and Cibachromes.
>
>I had to give some history to show that I've paid my dues in B&W.
>
>The bottom line to this story... B&W photography is immensely more
>difficult than color. To make negatives that contain the proper
>dynamic
>range, you must calculate the proper exposure (not necessary the gray
>card
>value - as is the normal case with color). Processing method is
>dependent
>upon the brightness ratio of the scene and where in the brightness
>range
>you put the exposure. And what you envision the result looking like.
>You
>also should record the brightness range to determine the proper
>development
>procedure. THEN!!! you have to print it. Which paper grade, which
>paper,
>which developer, how to dodge, how to burn, etc, etc, etc... The
> [...]

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]