Subject: [Leica] Films & developers
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:21:28 +0100

Tina Manley wrote:

>I tend to believe that films and
>developers from the same company are made for each other.
>Kodak developers for Kodak films and Ilford developers for
>Ilford films.

The published formulas for ID-11 (Ilford) and D-76 (Kodak), at least,
are identical, and my favorite "old school" (for me, that means 1980s)
combo was always Ilford HP5 in Kodak HC-110. So I'm not really
convinced that this is generally true.

On the other hand, perhaps with the newer emulsions what you
say is more true - I certainly didn't get a handle on TMY before
I started using TMAX developer. XTOL will be in use beginning
next week. (Aside: I just ordered 50 rolls of film and 2 l of
XTOL from B&H - for FedEx shipping to the west coast they charged
less than $11US!)

Certainly, one probably won't do much *better* than by usng
chemistry and films from a single major vendor.

That said, anyone here got development recommendations for
Fuji Neopan 1600?

Best regards,
Alexey
Alexey Merz | URL: http://www.webcom.com/alexey | email: alexey@webcom.com