Subject: [Leica] Re: Color Neg
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 18:10:17 EDT

My spec sheets from Kodak list Royal Gold 25 @ 25; Royal Gold 100 @ 28;
PRN and "regular" Gold 100 @ 45 (all Kodak's propiretary PGI ratings).
The difference in grain between Royal 25 (was Ektar 25) and Royal 100 is
negligible, but R100 is much less contrasty and has much wider exposure
latitude...the latter a distinct advantage with mechanically-timed
shutters settable only at full stops, such as the Leica M.  I would not
suspect Kodak of purposefully degrading the available grain and
resolution of available film types.  They are reacting to market demand.
The vast majority of small-format use of colour negative film is happy
snaps rarely enlarged greater than 6X4.  The use of digital scanning
rather than conventional enlargement allows for greater preservation of
detail, and this technology is getting better all the time.  Finally, the
serious small format shooter always has the possibility of making
Ilfochromes or drum-scanned laser prints from transparencies which, aside
from problems related to contrast buildup, produce sharper prints than
can be got from colour negatives (films of equal ISO's of course).

Regards,
Nigel
On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:21:41 -0400 "Roy J. Feldman" <royfel@hotmail.com>
writes:

>According
>to Kodak the new Portra is sharper than PRN even though more grainy.
>Their
>index shows Gold 25 at 28, R Gold 100 @ 30, PRN @ 30 and Portra @32 on
>their
>grain scale
[snip]
> However
>since K
>will no longer have a neg film with a speed of below 160 available in
>4X5,
>120 &35 i.e.. PRN.
>IT WOULD SEEM TO ME  A DELIBERATE PLAN TO MAKE IT VERY HARD TO EXPLOIT
>THE
>FINE OPTICS OF TODAY'S CAMERAS. (smaller film size[APS] and grainer
>films
>with a lowering of contrast). For me a sad turn of events.
>Roy Feldman

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]