Subject: [Leica] Stereo Leica - Yes & "Doppel" too
From: MGMcGough@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 17:42:59 EDT

>  Question for the Group: Who here shoots stereo with either a slide bar, or
>  twin Leicas? Do any of you use the Stereo Attachment Leitz once offered?
>  RM

   I have owned & used the Leica FIATE Slide Bar with a conventional Leica
  to obtain two 24x36 images which are then mounted & viewed in a special
  full frame viewer available from stereo device dealers.

  The 3 dimensional effect is increased or decreased by the distance from
  center used; the less rare FIATE is 4.5" long & the extremely rare FIARO
  was only 75mm;  The idea was to use the same distance as between the
  human left & right eyes.  A simple slide bar can easily be made in any of
  the mechanically inclined LUGgers work shop.

  In addition, Larry Wyatt of Los Angeles was commissioned & built a copy
  of Barnacks "Doppel" for Les Hobbs using 2 Leica 1A bodies.  It differed
  from the Barnack model by using 2 full frames instead of half frames and
  therefore had a complex advance procedure.  The first picture was taken
  on frames 1 and 3 & then you had to wind it twice to shoot frames 2 & 4.
  Of course since you were actually using  what in effect were  two Leicas
  in tandem - you were not limited to still lifes, as with the Stereo Slide
Bar.

  Mary Grace (de Milo)

  PS - Before you start looking to buy one of these slide-bars, remember that
  they are extremely rare & the FIATE will cost at least $1000.00 today.