Subject: Re: [Leica] Photokina follow-up-Canon Viewfinder
From: Mark Walberg <Walberg@simmons.swmed.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 19:35:23 -0600

Gee, I really am amazed to hear that the engineers at Leica were really
unaware of the workings of the three magnification viewfinder of the Canon
rangefinders.
It is not like the Canons were "just another Leica copy".  They had their
own interesting inovations, like the viewfinder.  The Canons are not rare,
either.  Do you think that the Leica engineers really don't look outside
their own doors (or outside Germany)?  If you were setting out to make the
best possible viewfinder/rangefinder in a camera, wouldn't you  want to
know what approaches had been tried before and how they worked?  Even if
you already had a design that worked, wouldn't you want to take a look at
new approaches that others had tried to see if there was anything
worthwhile there?  I'll bet that the older engineers that Mr Kiesel refers
to in his letter were well aware of the workings of the Canon viewfinder.
I'm not trying to criticize Leica here.  I'm just expressing my surprise if
this is true.  It is interesting to learn about the thinking and ideas that
went into making Leicas what they are.
- -Mark Walberg