Subject: [Leica] Re: 35 mm R Summilux vs. Summicron
From: Akhil Lal <alal01@utopia.poly.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 14:48:49 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Jim Brick wrote:

> Hi Akhil,
>
> I use a 4x5 Linhof Technika for my landscapes. Over the years, I've owned a
> couple of Hasselblad systems, including a Superwide. But my heart is in
> 4x5. I use my Leica R equipment mainly for my wife's and my book business.
> My photographs (regional - so it is basically 'scape stuff) and her recipes
> (Scenic Cookbooks of San Francisco, Carmel/Monterey, and now Napa Valley
> Wine Country) and we also are working on other types of books as well. But
> for a personal carry around camera, it's an M6, and for fine art landscape
> and still life type stuff, it's 4x5.

Yes I agree 4 x 5 is the way to go if one has the time and need. I regard
6 x 6 as a good compromise: not too heavy to carry around and a step up
in quality from 35mm.

> I enjoyed using my Hasselblads when I had them. I was working as a
> commercial photographer at that time. If I were to buy a MF camera today,
> it would be between the Rollei 600x and the Hasselblad. But for me right
> now, 35 & 4x5 is enough.

I too have been tempted by the Rollei particularly as the prices have
been reduced recently, but the widespread availability of used 2nd hand
hassy gear and the possibilities opened up by the new 202 body have kept
me loyal to hassy.

> Many thanks for the comments,

Same Here !!

regards,