Subject: Re: [Leica] Tom Abrahamsson's Softies [Was: My first M: notes & questions]
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 14:36:30 -0800

Everything you manages to say here pretty much is the direct opposite of
what really happens. It doesn't soften anything. It is a hard release, just
immensely more convenient. It allows the shutter to be gently released with
all parts of the finger or thumb. This is a very well known procedure,
popularized on the M camera by Black Star & NG photographer (and
occasionally LUGger) Fred Ward. It actually allows you to hold the camera
vertically, resting in the palm of your right hand, and squeeze the release
with the first joint of your thumb. Dead still. Nothing moves. Likewise
horizontal, using the flat of your index finger rather than having to crook
it around and poke the tip down in to affect a release.

There's no thinking about it... it just plain works.

Jim