Subject: Re: [Leica] Buying pictures from NGS ? was Sam Abell & Books on Leica pictures
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 16:50:38 -0500

At 10:02 AM 10/25/98 -0500, you wrote:

>      Do you guys know off-hand if it's possible to get photographic
>      prints  from the National Geographic Society ?   I assume NGS
>      owns the rights to the pictures.   Am I correct ?  (I know it's been
>      a controversial issue with photographers.)  Thanks,

I believe you can. It won't be cheap. But it depends. Anything that runs in
the magazine is the property of the magazine, as is anything shot by
staffers. But freelancers keep their outtakes. So they might be willing to
sell you a similar picture too.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Where reason has failed, fallibility may yet succeed. -- George Soros