Subject: Re: [Leica] Airport X-RAY report
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 17:45:17 -0800

Dan Post wrote:

> Ted-
> In the case of such negligence, can they, the airline or airport be held
> liable?
> What did happen to hand inspection?

In various flights lately I have put LowePro Commercial AW camera bag on
belt, zipped closed, usually with 3-4 bodies and 6-8 lenses plus 2
strobes and accessories.  Then I step to the metal detector handing the
plastic bag with unboxed, uncanistered film to the attendant, smiling
and saying please hand inspect this.  Occasionally one will open the
bag(s) and rummage through and hand it back instantly. I think having
film out of all containers is a help. But almost everytime they have
asked me to open and go through my camera case.  Always they ask me to
open the case.  The equipment usually impresses them, they understand
the professional situation and usually ask what I've been shooting and
they say they understand the hand inspection of film and no problem.  I
always thank them for their consideration.  One of you might be next in
line!

Maybe it is best to always close the bag and maybe even lock it, then
they have to ask you to open it.

donal
- --
Donal Philby