Subject: [Leica] m6 metering - answer but what to do?
From: "tom cirillo" <tcirillo@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:35:19 -0500

I have, i believe, figured out why the m6 can produce flashing/erratic led's
within it's sensitivity range.  the tipoff is in the manual - one sentence
which reminds one that the m6 meters through the lens at working aperture.

so, let's say you are metering an approx. ev8 scene as I was- my living
room, available light - and you want lot's of depth of field.  so, tripod
mounted, you prepare to shoot at 1 sec, f16, asa 400- approx ev8.  But, at
this modest light level, and so stopped down, the led's flash.  actually, in
my case, i can get a condition at which the meter is seeking 'less' light as
though we are at ev20 or so.  perhaps, just irregular at the threshold.

so, what does one do; just recognize that this will happen when stopped-down
sometimes ie the reading will suggest out of range when common sense says
no, and intervene by opening up and getting a valid reading.  then
transposing it?

suggestions from any and all would be appreciated, tom.

ps- joe, you might want to try this; find a scene about ev 7/8 or so.