Subject: RE: [Leica] Use 135mm Anymore?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 19:19:33 -0500

At 03:23 PM 1998-10-27 -0500, B D Colen wrote:

>135 has always struck me as a somewhat weird focal length - not long enough
>to be a useful telephoto, but - for me anyway - a bit too long to be a good
>portrait, close distance lens. I suspect the only reason the focal length
>really exists is that it was the longest focal length that could
>realistically - sort of - be used with the rangefinder (Leica/Contax) and as
>a focal length it was initially picked up for the reflexes.

Well, that is why it was retained - but it first was selected as a focal
length as 135mm was the shortests focal length at which the original Tessar
formula could provide full LF plate coverage.  So there were a lot of 135mm
lenses around for LF work, and these were simply adapted for
miniature-format use, first on the Leica and, almost immediately, with the
Contax 4/13.5cm Sonnar, a lens Kuc contends was first contemplated for 9cm
by 12cm use.

Zeiss, of course, found  focusing accuracy was achievable with the 6.3/18cm
Tele-Tessar but had difficulties with the RF-coupled Olympia Sonnar, so
this was replaced with the highly valued 2.8/18cm in the Flektoskop reflex
housing.

Hence, by 1937, both Zeiss Ikon and Leitz had restricted themselves to a
long lens of 13.5cm, a focal length worthy of our high regard for its
longevity -- and usefulness!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!