Subject: RE: [Leica] Xray machines
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 20:55:17 -0500

At 05:21 PM 10/27/98 -0700, you wrote:

>I don't know if the lead bag is such a good idea. Did we not have some
>messages this summer about ne w baggage scanners being installed, that if
>they encounter a dense object (like a lead bag) will just continue to
>increase the power of the scan until they can see through. That does not
>seem to be a good thing for the film!!
>Noel Charchuk

No, that is the new scanner for checked baggage.  It will ruin your film no
matter what - even in lead bags.  The scanner for hand-carried cannot be
turned up.  It will show the lead bag as a blob.  Some inspectors will want
to look in it, others will let it go by - just depends on what kind of mood
they're in!  Sometimes they will want to grab it and send it back through.
That's when you tell them politely that it's film and repeated x-rays will
harm it.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>