Subject: Re: [Leica] Info on "new" lenses?
From: Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:02:21 -0600

You should have the original 90mm Elmarit-M.  It was followed by two
versions of the 90mm Tele-Elmarit and then the current 90mm Elmarit.   This
lens is ranked behind the current 90mm Elmarit but probably better than the
two versions of the Tele-Elmarit.

It's a very fine lens and makes a fine macro lens if it's lens head is
mounted to a Visoflex or Leica SLR via the Universal Focusing Mount.

The lens should take 39mm filters and the lens head should unscrew.  2/3rds
of the production of this lens was in chrome and 1/3rd in black.

You can verify that you have the original Elmarit either by unscrewing the
lens head (if possible) of looking at the front of the lens and observing if
the diaphragm is very near the front element.

I've seen mint versions of the black Wetzlar Elmarits advertised for as much
as $1,500.  I think they'll bring just under $1,000 now.  I have a gorgeous
version of this lens and I can't bring myself to trade it for a new Elmarit.

Bud