Subject: [Leica] Re: Mythology v Reality - A Call For A Thoughtful Discussion
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 07:49:40 -700

On 29 Oct 98, B. D. Colen wrote, at least in part:

<snip>

> So what's my point? I'm not really sure. Except to say that while most of
> our equipment discussions are extremely valuable, and the comradship
> created by this list is truly wonderful thing, we sometimes seem to forget
> that if, like the vast majority of today's outstanding photographers,
> people like Ted and Eric and Tina and Jim and etc. were not using Leicas,
> they'd still be making terrific images.

<snip>

This discussion can't be argued with by anyone unless they have
just crawled out from under a rock. It is intuitive, or should be, to
all.

Most of us want to hang out with those that we admire and envy.
Pick your camera, then admire those who shoot well with it. Any
marque that is reliable has its talented people using it. That's the
keyword, talent!

It is chic today to talk of "everyone having talent in something".
Balony! Talent is passed around sparingly and w/o work it
atrophies and dies. Fortunately, those with real talent, tend to
realize it, work hard at developing it and the world correctly
admires it.

Most of us are average blokes with no *real* talents. We may be
good at something, but that's usually because we enjoy it and put
some time at it. That's not a put down to the population, at large.
That's the way I think it should be. True talent should be rare!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to the trout stream where I will
fish my lovely Leonard cane rods and meticulously tied flies. After
that, I plan to go to the trap range where my beautifully crafted
shotguns will blast away at the clay targets. While there, I'll do
some people photography with my M6 and 35/Summi ASPH.

The results will be no trout in the wicker creel, 92 out of 100
tagets broken and snapshots of my fellow shooters.
Question: Did I have a good time, and am I satisfied with my
performances? Answer: You bet! and No, but I'll keep trying! C'est
la vie, mon ami!
- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org