Subject: [Leica] Print Techniques
From: Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:38:16 -0700

>>You are right: everybody, especially the frequent printers, can avoid
this
expense, but Multigraph will make you faster, and probably will also show
you some new ways of printing, in order to obtain the maximum from your
negative with a reasonable effort and time.
Lucky who can do the same by the means of his experience.

My experience in the darkroom; long hours in a small, but busy lab, taught
me how to judge a negative and select the proper grade of paper for the
image. I printed all Bantam, 126, 110, Minox and 35MM film on a tried and
true Focomat Enlarger, and  I had Kodabromide fiber (and other papers) in
all contrast grades readily available. Eventually you learn what a
particular negative will require for the paper and magnification.

Incidentally, I printed thousands of rolls of film in this lab, all sizes
from 2R to murals and I never used any form of automation or any exposure
meters. I think a dedicated printer can also learn to do the same.

DIGITAL COMMENTS: I was a member of several lists discussing the virtues of
digital and the demise of silver. I think I was bumped because of my strong
opinions. Actually, I consider them facts. I do not see traditional methods
disappearing too soon, but it seems to be headed that way. Less and less
people in the dark and less and less materials available from Kodak makes
me wonder if one day, we will have just a few papers available.

I think that if you consider what it takes to get close to film with
digital equipment, the costs are so high, that silver is still the only
choice. For example, at the time, I was remodeling a space for a darkroom,
and I figured I would have about $2500.00 into the effort. That included
some new equipment and my old equipment. I asked one of the digital
'Masters' this question: If he was so convinced that digital was the only
reasonable way to go, could he supply me with enough speed and memory for
the computer I needed, and a digital camera that approaches film @ some 50
Thousand Dollars, and a large format printer like an IRIS Printer so I can
print murals, for the $2500.00 I was about to spend on a new Silver Based
Darkroom.

He then fudged and got mad at me.

I maintained that the cost to come close to film requires a vast
investment. and there is no guarantees that the images will last as long
and something better will come along to make my investment in digital a
lost one. What happens to your investment if a hard drive crashes, or you
have a problem in restoring a backup (If you remember to do this), or if an
essential file gets corrupted, or scientists discover some as yet unknown
problem with the current storage media, and on and on and on. My negatives
going back to the early 1900's are perfect and will be in the next 100
years potentially.

A hundred Grand will still purchase a lot of Leica Products and I think the
quality will certainly be there.

RM