Subject: Re: [Leica] HCB vs. modern lenses
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:54:19 -0700

I don't have the book you speak of in front of me, but I was thinking about
the question you raised while taking my walk today. My favorite H C-B image
is "Greek Girl Ascending Staircase" (or something close ot that). I've never
seen a fine print of the image, but in books it appears to have about 32
tones of gray. I could be a posterization. The elements are mostly large
masses, and lots of detail would probably be distracting and pull the eye
away from the beauty of the design and composition. The need for sharpness
depends a lot on the image and the photographer's intention. As it is, I
like lots of detail and accurate, high-contrast rendering. If I had H C-B's
eye, it might be different. A good teacher once told me to think about
puttings images or designs on paper--not about cameras and technique.
I'm sure there is a wide range of opinions on this one.
Joe Stephenson